While the policy-makers are currently concerned with mapping out the road towards Europe’s sustainable recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, the European cultural community urges them to include culture as a key component in this process – and beyond. Culture Action Europe, European Cultural Foundation, and Europa Nostra (representing the European Cultural Alliance) jointly proposed a Cultural Deal for Europe framework. This overarching strategy aims at placing culture at the center of the European project and mainstreaming it across all policy fields: from the green transition to Europe’s geopolitical ambition and from the digital shift to a value-driven Union.
What does the Cultural Deal for Europe propose?
- Devoting at least 2% of the EU Recovery and Resilience Facility (RRF) for culture.
- All national recovery and resilience plans must show due evidence of cultural and European relevance.
- Full inclusion of culture in the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda and the European Green Deal.
- Make sure funding for culture is mainstreamed into other relevant EU programmes and actions.
- Relevant and timely support to cultural workers.